Green Thumb or Just Paint?

Well hello there!  Its been a beautiful Friday today and I wish that I was able to enjoy more of it.  A headache stood between me and a beer on the deck - it was close to blowing up into a migraine so I thought better of the beer and took an Advil instead.  After a nap, I'm pleased to be headache free and ready to start the weekend!

Now, it's no secret among our friends and family that I was itching to start a little garden once we found a home with a nice backyard.  What kind of garden you ask?

Vegetable Potato garden (I love love love love potatoes). 

Well, at the store my sister and I scoured the shelves for "potato seeds" but didn't see anything.  (please note that I am a beginner here, and learning this biz as I go)  

So instead, I purchased a plethora of other vegetables to grow. We will end up building a raised garden for a section of our backyard since the dirt here is more like clay (I think that's because its a new construction area) in a couple of weeks.  I've already sowed my seeds in little starter greenhouses and I'm super excited to say that most of them have germinated and sprouted their cute little heads!


Aren't they awesome?!  So, as I was saying - most of them have sprouted.  The ones that have not are the bell peppers and Jalapeno peppers.  I was thinking to myself [because I sowed these seeds at least a couple of weeks ago] that maybe I did something incorrectly, or perhaps its just bad peat pellets in this particular greenhouse that is preventing the little seeds to break the surface.  

How do I save you little guys?!  Are they suffocating in there???

My best friend lovingly reminded me the other day that just because I'm an artist doesn't mean I have a green thumb - it could just be green paint.  While she obviously was joking the shit out of me (Thanks for that, lol) doubt started to creep into my already worry filled brain.  

Awe shit.  Maybe this is a sign that my garden is DOOMED!?

Then I remembered today as I placed the greenhouses in the sun that I do happen to have technology that allows me to look this shit up and figure out why they haven't popped out to say "hello" yet.  Duh.  So, suffice it to say that bell peppers and jalapeno peppers are a bit more lazier to rise than the rest and to not freak out if they don't sprout up right away.  Phew!  

Best part?  I found one little Jalapeno that has started to rise!!  

THEY LIVEEEE!  

Now I'm more reassured and confident that the rest will follow soon.  I'm hoping that being in the sunlight will encourage them along their way as well since they like warmer temperatures when germinating.  

Now I know you are very sad for me that I wasn't able to start my potato farm - but don't worry!   I plan to try planting some potatoes from the grocery store and see if that works in my favor on our deck in a pot.  I found a how-to on Pinterest and thought I would give it a shot.  REALLY see if this thumb is green or just green paint ;]




Comments