Off the Beaten Path


Well, I've sort of taken a little mini vacation from my usual work because...well...this is going to sound really corny but...I had a dream.

Done chuckling now? Good.

Sometimes my inspiration or idea comes in the form of a dream and it really bugs the crap out of me until I follow through with the given idea.  I can't really explain it very well, but there you go.  I had a dream...about art...and I have to do it.  

If I make it they will come is zipping through my mind right about now.  

Anyway, the basis of this particular piece that I am working on is paper.  Seems simple enough, but just that one thin sheet of incredibly ordinary white (or whatever color you prefer) paper has been molded, sculpted, twisted, cut, and formed into the most amazing things by some pretty awesome people.  I'm sure you've seen glimpses here and there of what I am talking about, unless you frequent art blogs like I do - then you see them way more.  You probably have seen some variations on Pinterest under their DIY section also (so addicting!).  If you are interested in seeing some pretty amazing examples of this style of art, you can fall down that rabbit hole here (you can view paper art under the archive).  

Orrrr just Google paper art and thank me later.

It really fascinates me how these individuals manipulate a seemingly ordinary medium that is so incredibly fragile.  That part I am really familiar with after only working on my piece for a few days.  The other great thing about this medium is that you can find paper everywhere!  And when I say everywhere, I mean recycling.  You don't even have to pay for that shit if you have a scrap box at home!   

I know you are probably waiting for me to reveal my big project to you, but because I'm still in the early stages it will remain with me until I feel confident in the direction that I am heading.  It's one of the things that I love so much about art.  It's not just a job description for me; it's this living, breathing fluid thing that actually evolves each time I start something brand new.  It's experimentation where, even if I fail on an idea, I still come out on top because I can take away from that project something crucial for the next.  It was one of the hardest things that I had to accept about being an artist and I still struggle with this now because I'm a perfectionist:

There is no failure in art, there is only growth and evolution into something better and more beautiful than the last.

Hot damn.  Dude, I should patent that shit...

Anyhoo, seems like a total teaser post, I know, but honestly I truly love what I'm working on right now, and I have gotten so inspired by paper artists, that I couldn't not share the wonderment that is their craft with you.  

AND I promise to let you in on the secret as soon as I'm comfortable! ;]  Happy Friday!

XO

ANF 

Comments