That Elusive Bitch, Motivation...


...Can be hard to pin down.  

Especially when it's warm and cozy underneath the covers of my soft bed.  It's also cold and rainy and miserable outside.  Seems the deck is stacked against this day being productive.  At least, that's what I want to say and go back to bed.  

We both know that didn't happen.

I like to think that motivation and inspiration can overlap in certain cases, but it's still hard to grasp onto either.  Sometimes, it's like trying to grasp and hold onto water, only for it to slip through your fingers.  

Fickle beasties.  

That's why I've started keeping a tracker for my days.  As much as I hate organization in certain aspects, we all can agree that I certainly need a little more of that in my life.  Otherwise my attention span is torn to shreds by all of the different things I think about and could do.  That's probably why I have so many unfinished projects/ideas sitting around.  I have ADD.

Wait. 

It's more like my ADD has ADHD. 

Totally self-diagnosed, of course.  

I've started blocking out times during the day for different tasks, and if I happen to come across an idea or thought, I write it down instead and come back to it later.  I can already see my studio being inundated with sticky notes everywhere.

I've also started incorporating a little time each day for "practice time".  As much as I will probably hate it and not want to do it, I need to do it.  I won't improve my skills or gain new ones otherwise.  Plus, I want to put myself in a position where I have so many pieces, that I can curate my listings to only reflect my best work.  

When I was browsing the internet this morning looking for inspiration, I came across this quote by Pancho Segura that I thought was fitting:

"An hour of practice is worth five hours of foot-dragging."

Even though I'm sure he was referring to his love of tennis, I think this could be adapted for anyone because it's true in many cases.  

And sweet baby unicorns I so foot-drag.  It's ridiculous, really.  

I think that my New Years resolution is going to be somewhere along the lines of "be more focused".

Have you thought about yours?

In any case, have a fun and safe New Years!



OX

ANF



Comments